Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish, go check them out and see what they are up to.
This weeks top ten is Top Ten Best/Worst Series Enders. I can’t actually participate in this topic because I haven’t read many series through to the end. The series I read are mostly in the mystery/thriller/cozy categories. Generally these types of books are in series that have upwards of 10 books, and not many of them even have an end yet. On the other side I have started series with only 2-4 books but I’ve never gotten past book 1 for one reason or another. So, once again I have decided to switch up the top ten topic for the week. The Topic I have decided to go with is
Top Ten Series I have started but haven’t continued with.
All of these are series where I have read only book 1
10. Divergent ( Divergent Trilogy) If I am being perfectly honest I don’t really love YA books or dystopian books but because I really loved Hunger Games I thought I should at least try Divergent. Yeah I kind of hated it! I didn’t like Tris, I didn’t connect with anyone or anything that was going on and it just wasn’t for me. Needles to say I will not be continuing on with the series. I will probably check out the movie when it comes to DVD because I will watch anything with Maggie Q in it.
9. Across The Universe (Across The Universe Series) I wasn’t going to even pick this up but it was available in audio format from my library so I went for it. Turns out this leans more towards sci-fi than dystopian so it wasn’t what I thought it was going to be. While I liked the book, I figured out what was going to happen kind of early on and that was a bit of a disappointment. It was also a bit slower than I would have liked. I might pick up the others if my library gets the audio books, maybe.
8. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic Series) This is weird because not only did I really enjoy this book, I love Sophie Kinsella in general. However, there is just nothing that makes me want to keep reading. I feel like everything was wrapped up and I don’t need to know anymore.
7. Heat Wave (Nikki Heat Series) This was a huge disappointment. It contained none of the signature Castle wit and sarcasm. The tension between Castle and Heat was none existent, and the mystery kind of sucked.
6. Unwind ( Unwind Dystology) Yet another attempt at a dystopian that kind of worked. I did like the book and the concept was really interesting, it was well paced and it kept me engaged. Having said all that I still don’t have a desire to continue on with the story. I believe there are a total of 4 books and I’m just not invested enough to continue it.
5. The Adoration Of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles) I just happened upon this on my library’s website and decided to give it a go. The books ending was wrapped up pretty well, so I don’t know what the rest of the series could possibly offer. Because of that I don’t have a desire to continue on with it.
4. Maisie Dobbs ( Maisie Dobbs Series) This is a series follows a woman who becomes a detective following World War I. Although it was a bit slow in parts I did enjoy the story and the characters. I will probably pick up more in the series just not anytime soon.
3. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy) I’m just going to put it out there I really loathed this book. I found it slow and plodding and it held no suspense or intrigue for me. I will not be reading the other 2 books in the series , not ever!
2. Desert Heat ( Joanna Brady Series) On the surface this series has everything I love in a book series. Female writer, female detective protagonist, yet it just did nothing for me. I really expected to love this series but it wasn’t original or suspenseful enough. I might give the second book a go just to see if it gets better but only if I can find the audio book.
1. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency ( No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series) Set in Botswana with a black woman detective, it’s like this series was made just for me. I thought I was going to just fall in love with this, but I didn’t. As a mystery story it didn’t exactly work, it was a bit slow. As a good book about a really great character it totally worked. I am not in any hurry to run out and read the rest but, if I come across them, and they are cheap I will probably get them.
So those are all the series I have started and haven’t continued with. I realized while doing this that I keep trying to read dystopias, in the hopes that I will find another one I like. Besides the Hunger Games I have never finished a dystopian series and I have yet to find a stand alone that I like. What’s funny is how much I enjoy dystopian movies. I can’t quite put my finger on why I enjoy one and not the other!
So what are some series you have started but haven’t finished.
Also what are your favorite or least favorite series enders?
Thanks for joining me this week
Until Next Time